Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Blackbird Bakery review

I've been meaning to review one of my favorite new finds from the Gluten Free Allergen Free Expo.  Let me tell you about Blackbird Bakery.

So I come along this booth that I almost pass by, but then I'm like "what the heck?  I am here to try new things.  And, special bonus, no lines!"  Plus they were all so smiley and friendly, it was hard not to chat.  The owner, Karen Morgan, is so absolutely adorable.  She explained her different flours and what each of them can do for different recipes.

I got the pie crust mix.  I get nervous, because I see that you are supposed to add eggs and butter to it.  I have to substitute those things, so I was wondering if it would turn out the same.  Plus, I didn't know if the fact that I wasn't using the exact kind of flour alternative to knead with, if it wasn't going to turn out.  So I got out my trusty Ener-G egg replacement as well as my Earth Balance coconut butter and went for it, not expecting much.  I was concerned about the kneading and letting it set.  Turns out I need not have worried! 

It was pretty easy to work in to the pan, then I put in my makings for a chicken pot pie and put on the top crust with only minor flaws.  Then it went in the oven.  The kitchen was smelling wonderful and it was ready fast.  Still, I'm nervous. What if it tastes like coconut since I used coconut butter?  Did I just ruin it?  Then I take a bite.  The moment of truth.  It was so light, flaky, buttery....perfect.  This is the best ever pie crust.  And just so you know, I have only been gluten free for a year so I've got a lot to compare it to.  Let me tell you, grandma's or your aunt's or whoever makes good pie crust in your family has met their match.  Pretty sure they can't hold a candle to Blackbird Bakery's mix.  I have never been the hugest crust fan, but I make sure every little crumb of this stuff has been licked clean. 

She runs shop out of Austin, so you are shopping local when you shop with her!  She doesn't have her shop up online as of yet, but hoping she gets it up before Thanksgiving!  I need some crusts for what promise be to be the best pies!  So check in with her site to see when that comes up and get your self some.  http://www.blackbird-bakery.com/

I also got the Choux mix, but have yet to play with that.  But I am very impressed!

No comments:

Post a Comment